Login NowClose 
Sign In to perutribune.com           
Forgot Password
Close

Kitchen fire claims two dogs

BY GABBY DAVIS - gdavis@perutribune.com

A fire at an Eagles Pointe duplex that took the lives of two dogs is still under investigation, according to Pipe Creek Volunteer Fire Chief Carl Wade.

The blaze broke out the 3200 block of Schilling Street about 9 a.m. on Friday and no one was home at the time, Wade said. 

Neighbors on the other side of the duplex began to smell something burning and after determining that the smoke wasn’t coming from their side of the property, immediately evacuated and called 911, Wade said. 

Grissom Fire Department was first on the scene within minutes, followed closely by the Pipe Creek Volunteer Fire Department and an ambulance from Dukes Memorial Hospital in Peru, Wade said. 

It only took firefighters a few minutes to put out the flames, but it was evident that it had been burning for quite some time. “There’s a lot of smoke damage from the house being closed up,” said Wade. “If not for the neighbors, there could have been a lot more damage.” 

The pets perished from smoke inhalation, Wade said. 

Since the residence is uninhabitable, Eagles Pointe property manager Shawn Sultz said she is giving the family a place to stay until they receive notice from the insurance company. “At this point we don’t know how long it will be,” she said. 

The Red Cross has helped out, too, providing assistance to help meet the family’s basic food and clothing needs, according to Disaster Program Specialist Leslie Blakley.